I downloaded this album about a year or two ago and was utterly confused. My initial interest in this album was because of two names alone, Merzbow and Hanatarash. From such big names in noise one would mostly likely assume that any album containing those two people would converge into a symphony of mass experimentation and utter chaos, this is true in the case of this album, but the result is much different from what one would expect.
There is absolutely no genre barrier within this album created by visual artist Ukawa Naohiro, perhaps best known for his work as a video director and album artist for groups such as Boredoms and Supercar. Strangely enough, it is perhaps the visuals he has made for other groups that best describe his own work as a musician. Quirky, often humorous, yet with a sense of unique, offbeat surrealism that is purely his own.
At times this is a pop album, highlighting songs such as "unexplored depths of memory decay / owner is Uri Geller," which feature MEG, well-known for her association with producer Yasutaka Nakata (capsule, Perfume). Songs like "drowned while photosynthesis experiment" are pop in the sense that Denki Groove may be considered pop, showcasing an experimental electronic slant which helps diverge from the norm of pop music, yet is still wholly so at the core for it's appreciation of catchy and hummable melodies.
The 7th song, "Strings of Life," plays out like a John Cage tribute piece set in a hostile and hellish environment, where the slowly minimalist rounds of strings seem to slowly attack each other, practically playing out the song's own title and at the end, fading away as if life's rounds have been fulfilled and the memories of past regret and pain all collide within your mind at one single, brutal moment, you eventually reach peace and it is finally time to pass off into a new world. And then there's a hardcore song right after featuring Japanese group, Abraham Cross. Need I say much more? This album is very diverse! (and by the way, the Merzbow track is insane!)
I can safely say that there is nothing I have ever heard like this album, it is truly a unique piece of music and is sure to satisfy anyone even briefly as it covers such a myriad of genres. Why UKAWANIMATION! hasn't gotten more praise in music circles? Perhaps the world just isn't ready.
1. UKAWANIMATION! Feat. Hagiwara Keniti Tennis Ishino x <500> Dedicated to the camera (Camera)
2. UKAWANIMATION! feat. DAZZ Y DJ NOBU<千葉八街のリアルアンダーグラウンド落花生栽培> Dedicated to 落花生 (Peanut)
3. UKAWANIMATION! feat. MERZBOW<羽毛に纏わる水滴無限循環> Dedicated to アヒル (Duck)
4. UKAWANIMATION! feat. JONTE x TOBY<開いた身体は白い列島> Dedicated to ウナギ (Eel)
5. UKAWANIMATION! feat. ALTZ<溺れながらの光合成実験> Dedicated to 酸素 (Oxygen)
6. UKAWANIMATION! feat. HANATARASH<偏西風の次第♯1>
7. UKAWANIMATION! feat. STRINGRAPHY
8. UKAWANIMATION! feat. ABRAHAM CROSS<盗まれた平衡感覚> Dedicated 飼い主のいない猫 ( Stray Cat )
9. UKAWANIMATION! feat. HANATARASH<貿易風の次第♯2>
10. UKAWANIMATION! feat. MEG x iLL<秘境の奥の虫歯の記憶/持ち主はユリ・ゲラー> Dedicated to スプーン (Spoon)
11. UKAWANIMATION! feat. 田中フミヤ<57杯目のブラッディー・メアリー> Dedicated to ウォッカ ( Vodka )