About Me

My photo
A blog where we post whatever we want. A focus on music, obscure film, and more. Many links are our own uploads, but just as many are taken from other blogs. If you have a problem with us having your links on our blog, we are glad to take them down. Female Trouble is maintained by Garrett (ZOOM LENS), Michelle, and Megane-Kun (Drink Cold). If there is something that you think we may have that you wish to ask for, do not hesitate to ask us! Please email gyyguy@yahoo.com. The Female Trouble email is not checked.
Friday, March 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM Posted by FEMALE TROUBLE 4 Comments


Kenichi Fumoto is a singer/songwriter from Japan, who seems to be relatively unknown. I actually stumbled across him by complete accident and listened to a few samples of his out of pure curiosity (which can be heard through one of the links posted below). This is his first official CD (he previously released 3 CD-Rs before this album, of which some songs appear on this album).

Recorded entirely on Garageband in his room, one would imagine a level of quality that is quite sparse, but that is actually quite the opposite with Fumoto's music. There is a serene presence of melody brought by layers and layers of lush guitar work, keyboards, and drum machines (along with occasional female harmonies.) Although not similar in sound, hearing Fumoto reminds me of the first time I heard Grouper, transcending that level of a typical, lone singer/songwriter, and going beyond the sum of it's parts, Fumoto's music is more of a focus on mood and the slow, shifting pieces of sound that he creates.

I wish I could explain Fumoto better and not in such vague terms, there is just something oddly special about his music, as if it has a sense of familiarity and nostalgia that I cannot simply place the start of. When I put this album on I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces. Though I cannot understand what Fumoto is saying, I feel a sense of loss and longing in his music.

Some of Fumoto's CDs can be purchased through here and here. Although some of them may be out of print (including this one I posted), the second link contains a sample stream of his entire album and are currently selling his latest CD-R, which I suggest you purchase before it is too late.



Myspace
Official Site

-Garrett

4 Responses so far.

  1. Thanks a lot for this post, I've been listening to it a lot recently. It's a shame his stuff isn't more available for non-Japanese speakers.

  2. "When I put this album on I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces."

    Yes, exactly. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful album.

  3. wow, this is absolutely beautiful stuff. gonna be pining for more.

  4. This is the best album I have downloaded on your blog, thank you so much and I really hope to see more from him!

Post a Comment

Pages